For Rent Price Upon Request - Villa
Colonial Dream is the very last colonial home left on the Northern coast of Mauritius and is built in stone with numerous thatched roofs that keep the house cool at all times. It is also the very first beach home that was built in Pointe aux Canonniers by a prominent figure of the island at that time as his “campement” seaside home. The Villa is 500m² (300 inside + 200 verandas and deck) and comprises four bedrooms and four bathrooms (3 en-suite, one adjacent, all with double basins). The rooms display the white and fresh tones of authentic colonial homes. The furniture is mainly “Compagnie des Indes”, carved in purple palissandre 200 years ago in India, or authentic Mauritian creole furniture made with the sought after local mahogany called “macaque”, now almost extinct in the wild.
In the entrance of Colonial Dream, an XVIIth century baroque altar greets the guests. A bunch of flowers stands on an early XIXth century centre table leading to the endless view towards the reef and beyond. A 200m² outdoor living area with broad verandas and a huge deck overlooks the Indian Ocean. The main façade is North oriented, therefore the sun pours in all day long towards the slate pool.
- 4 bedrooms (3 double bedrooms, 1 twin bedroom)
- 4 bathrooms
- On Beach
- Swimming Pool
- Bedroom 1 (45m²) King size four poster bed with fantastic view of the pool and ocean. En suite shower room.
- Bedroom 2 (21m²) Twin beds with colonial dressing table and chair. The generous bathroom (11m²) is just across the corridor.
- Bedroom 3 (30m²) Four poster double bed and en-suite bathroom .
- Bedroom 4 (40m²) is on a lower level (Queen size bed) and leading directly on the beach with view of the coconut tree and beach. En-suite bathroom.
- Fully equipped kitchen.
- Indoor living and dining area.
- The pool and deck are extensive with seating area.
- The villa has a few steps leading through the flower gardens to the beach.
All the bedrooms in Colonial Dream display priceless antique furniture including XIXth century colonial mahogany basin stands, old carved tables and stately four poster beds. The interior is bright and airy, with white linen curtains blowing in the sea breeze, immaculate handmade bed covers and superb Egyptian cotton bed sheets. An authentic modern colonial atmosphere.
The extensive living and dining room house the authentic Compagnie des Indes furniture sideboard, centre table and pair of Indo-Portuguese influenced liquor chests on pedestal, French dessert sideboard, Mahogany creole table with twisted legs, old Chinese portraits, beautiful caned colonial settee and modern white couch.
The kitchen is an eclectic mix of modern and traditional with early XV111th century local Armoire Normande (one of 3 in Mauritius, one being in the Mahebourg museum), old style “larder” in beautiful oak with hand painted glass and mirrors, now used to store the crockery and cutlery. As well as all mod cons such as fridge, large oven, microwave, toaster etc.
At one end of the deck, the 10m long thatched dining room, with its own small kitchen area with a sink and a fridge, overlooks the pool and lagoon. It faces a huge thatched day bed in white with soft pillows to relax and enjoy the view. Or maybe you will choose a sun lounger on the deck. Another favourite spot is in the shade under the veranda in one of the old planters’ armchairs. Colonial bliss.
The white sand beach is exceptionally quiet and you are usually all alone all day long.
- All bedrooms with air-conditioning
- Alarm system
- Private Swimming pool
- Bed linen and bath towels
- Sun loungers
- Cooking Service
- On the beach
- 5- minute drive to town (Grand Bay)
- 5-minute drive to supermarket
- 30-minute drive to Port Louis
- House-keeping Staff: 8.30-14.00 daily.
As no cooking services are currently offered at Colonial Dream, a 5-star Chef can be brought in at a fee of M. Rs 4000 (around 110 Euro) per day should clients require this service. His duties include doing all the shopping as well as washing-up.
Spa / beauty treatments (extra): a professional therapist or masseur can come for beauty treatments.